and then there are the non-glitter days.....

If you've been following, you may have read a former post about red glitter.  man.  That was a great insight....and motivation....and conviction.  Amen.

Some days are not glitter days.  Some days are just.  Well.  Days.

Tonight, the bathroom door was shut with no one inside.  That, my friends, is never good.  I started to open the door and Precious, quick as lightning, blocked the door.  "Mom.  um.  I should probably tell you something....."  oh boy.  It's been a hard day here with Precious today.....and even tho she played with a friend (and gave me a break, )she had been in the house maybe 4 1/2 minutes when the closed door issue occurred.  (simultaneously with an epic screaming match between her and Josiah because she tossed his whistle on top of the fridge.  In her defense.....I, too, was tired of the screaching whistle blowing).....everyone else was at Wal-Mart.

I opened the bathroom door to find the sink overflowing.....and bubbles rising.....and water dripping...everywhere.  It was not glitter.  I was not inspired.  It was Sunday night after a busy weekend and a day full of Precious tantrums.....and I did not lose my temper.  I did not.  I lowered my voice and thought to myself, "red glittler.....red glitter.....red.....aw screw it.  This just makes me crabby....."  and I gathered a bunch of towels and cleaned up the mess for the moment, deflected the screaming toddler tantrum.....poured milk and rubbed oil on backs.....turned the lights down lower....and pulled these two little sweet heart babies into bed with me.

Last night they both slept all night in their own beds.....thank you Jesus, and my friend Renita who mixed a blend of essential oils that I rubbed on backs for sleep.....

Tonight, they are both in my big mama bed, with the Grammys on tv, a lavender candle burning and a glass of wine....

Roger just got home with the big kids.  They are happy to start their week with whatever was on their list for Wal-mart...and I am happy that I didn't have to go to that store tonight.  Maybe we won't tell Roger about the flood in the bathroom.....eh?

As I continue to journey through parenting, I am so grateful to know that there is grace upon grace....and room to grow and change and get better at it.  When I look at the sleepy babies in bed beside me, I can almost feel God smiling and saying something like......."Hang in there, my daughter.  The best is yet to come."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware