a memory and a Christmas invitation

I shared a personal memory on a home visit today.  I did 5 home visits, which is a lot in my kind of work....and involved driving to different communities.  The story I shared was about the time when I was a new mama, for the first time.  When I had my first child, Claire, my mom was so, so excited and ready.  Claire went past her due date....by almost 2 weeks.....so we were ALL ready to greet her when she chose her birthday!  We invited my mom to her birth when we knew birth was imminent.  My mom was there in full makeup and lipstick....at 1:30 am.  We teased her.....mom, why do you have make up on at 1:30am?  ( she had slept in make up for over a week just hoping for a call to come to the birth of this grandchild!)  Claire was born.  We gave her the name Claire for Roger's grandma Clara...and her middle name is Barbara....for my mom.  Nana Barb beamed with pride and love......

Every day thereafter my mom would stop by before she went to work.  She would ask how the night had gone, and hold Claire and talk to her and kiss her and love her for a few moments, then head off to work.  Claire came to expect her morning visit from Nana....and cry when she left.  After about 8 months.  Yes.  I did say 8 MONTHS!  I finally said to my mom......"mom!  You have to stop coming every morning!  When you leave she cries and screams for you and my morning is toast.  Please.  Please.  Stop the sabbotage of my day!  Don't come every morning!  Please!  She fussed a bit but eventually agreed......Claire loves her nana.  She always has.

On Christmas Eve, Claire and her Nana Barb will play some prelude music before the worship service.  Claire on her violin which belonged to her great-grandpa Elko on Roger's side of the family....and my mom, her nana, on piano.  It's just a couple of traditional Christmas carols but it is so much more.  Claire is 17.  She leaves for Haiti next week to love on kids in an orphanage.  My mom is 69 and enjoying her retirement years.

If you happen to live locally and are free on Christmas Eve around 4:45pm.....stop by New Life Reformed Church to savor a beautiful gift of time between a grandma and her grand daughter.....for just a few moments.  These two women mean the world to me.....and to each other.....in ways beyond words.  Jesus knows.  He will be there, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware