"Mom, are you excited for Christmas?"

Claire came home tonight after a long day.  She had dance, then school, then work, then a Walmart run to get things for dance....and school...and work.  She's more away than home these days at 17.  I had Josiah on my lap and he had just fallen asleep so I was able to feel the weight of his sleepy self and stroke his sweet soft curly head as she and I talked about teen-age issues, and prom, and such.  We switched gears to talking about Christmas.  Her comment was that she had not done any Christmas shopping yet.  The girl is seriously more busy than anyone I know....by her own design.  I smiled, nodded, and agreed that the holiday was coming fast.  Claire said, "Are you excited for Christmas though?".  I had to pause a bit.  Am I?  Excited for December 25, 2016?  
My answer was something like this.  I love the season of Christmas so much.  From the day after Thanksgiving right up to the day after Christmas......that entire month is a reason to celebrate.  On the radio today, I heard it said that wouldn't it be great if we lived our lives like it was always Christmas.  I love that.  I do wish that every day was filled with people who random message me and ask if there is a family to bless and shop for......and I wish that I was always feeling generous about giving good gifts to family and friends and the lady who cleans my house and my sitter and my dog groomer.....and the bus driver.....and the mail man.  I wish I appreciated them with gifts and good cheer all year long.  I wish that I was able to enjoy glad tidings of good cheer every day and not just December.  Why do I only buy good cheese and good fruit and shrimp in December and not all year?  I love all of December.  I'm planning a dinner party for some college kids we keep track of.  We hope to spoil them and lavish them with good food and love on Sunday.....and seriously......I should do this once a month all year.  Not just Christmas.  I like how I think as I prepare for Christmas.  I want that spirit to last all year long.  After all.....Jesus didn't just come that one day.  In fact, he likely didn't come THAT DAY at all!  We just choose that day to notice and remember!  
I am excited for Christmas.  I am excited for a day that we spend as a family and do not go to dance or school or work, and instead, we have a tasty breakfast *that mom plans, shops for and makes, and we open gifts *that mom planned for, shopped for and wrapped, and then we take the day to play with new stuff and watch Christmas shows on tv and then maybe spend time with extended family.  
And then its done for another year.  One day of wow with food and gifts for kids......but that whole month prior is full of music and planning and savoring......and adventing.....and giving.....and loving....and sharing....and focusing on things that matter.  December is the best part of Christmas for me....the day itself may or may not bring the perfect gift that each person wants....and the food may or may not please the family.  Definitely not every member of this family for sure!  If the toys don't require hours of assembly, then my husband will get to take naps which is his favorite thing to do all day......and I would really, really like it if it snowed.  I would.  The snow is pretty and peaceful and sends a message to stay home and watch and marvel and appreciate warmth in the middle of cold.  
I guess the point is that I love this season so, so much.  I wish it lasted all year but if it doesn't than I am glad it is more than one day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware