Casting Crowns - I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day Live



I found my song for this year. Some of you have been reading with me for a few years and remember that every year (or most years anyway) I find one Christmas song that strikes a cord in my spirit. This is it this year. I heard the Bells on Christmas Day is from a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. The song tells of the narrator's despair.....and he hears the Christmas bells and thinks that "hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men"..... and the line that pierces my heart presently is this one....."Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: God is not dead, nor doth He sleep; The Wrong shall fail, the Right prevail, with peace on earth, good-will to men......." and when it plays on the radio I crank it up and almost scream with tear-filled eyes.....God is NOT dead, nor doth He sleep....the wrong SHALL FAIL....the right prevail....with peace. On Earth. Good-will....to men.

Our world right now.....we are living in very scary, crazy times. The recent election has stirred up hatred that makes me nauseous. The crime, the lack of respect for human dignity, the orphan crisis, the human trafficking disease.....they all scream at me to beg for the return of Jesus to make the wrong fail and the right prevail....and until then......

we hear the bells of Christmas day.....and for me......they bring me to pray for Peace. On earth. Good-will. to men........

Bring Christmas to someone. Gather a group to go sing carols to someone who is stuck at home. Make a holiday meal. Tip the dog groomer. Bring chocolates to the violin teacher......pray for Peace on Earth.

Be the Peace for someone.....anyone.....help them in their chaos and distress. Get a little messy. God is not dead. He is not sleeping. He is alive and working and wondering who his co-laborers are. Is it me? Is it you? Can we help Him create Peace on Earth and Good-will to men? I think we can. Hear the bells on Christmas day....their old familiar carols play......and dare to feel the despair that is all around us and then get up and do something about it. I will, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware