the way home.....

lighthouse is a tower, building, or other type of structure designed to emit light from a system of lamps and lenses and used as a navigational aid for maritime pilots at sea or on inland waterways.
Lighthouses mark dangerous coastlines, hazardous shoalsreefs, safe entries to harbors, and can also assist in aerial navigation. Once widely used, the number of operational lighthouses has declined due to the expense of maintenance and use of electronic navigational systems........so says Wikipedia.

Today, I was driving south, headed home after a long and trying day, and on the horizon I saw my lighthouse.  Well, not a lighthouse, exactly, since I live in Iowa and there are no oceans or ships.  My lighthouse is actually a wind turbine......and it sits on a cattle farm just outside of my town.....on the property of my friends.  As I saw the turbine spinning slowly in the distance, a wave of peace and expectation and satisfaction overwhelmed me.  There is a corner, just beyond the wind turbine (modern windmill) and that corner leads me home.  I take this corner coming and going several times every day and the windmill is my marker, my turning point, my navigation, my lighthouse.  

As I turned to head home, I was struck by how lovely home is, even when things aren't going well.  It is still so comforting that there is home......and that my "lighthouse" guides me there each day.  Home has the noise of barking dogs and yelling children, and presently a very sick Isaac who I am clueless and helpless to help.  I don't have any more ideas......he's just battling a virus for 5 days now.....and sick of it.....but still.....he is home.  Home has clutter and dishes and laundry and non-stop duties.......but also the people I love and enjoy.

Tonight, home has a fall scented candle burning, and a glass of wine.  Someone sent me some wine last week.....no idea who but thanks to whoever did.  I'm enjoying it alot.  

A friend once said that people who have a strong sense of home are less likely to suffer from depression.  I believe that.  I have lots of struggles but depression is not one of them.....and I absolutely love Home.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware