Unpacking a Psalm at bedtime

Psalm 16:1 says this.  "Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge."

Safe.  What does that mean, anyway?  Unharmed?  Un-threatened?  In a pleasant place?  Immune from worry?  I want to pray this prayer, but I want to understand what I am asking the Lord to Keep me in....if I take refuge in Him, that means I run to Him. (and I do....often).   When I take refuge in Him I expect to feel safe.  Comforted.  Whole.  Well.

Sometimes, the will of God is not safe.  It is not unharmed, or without threat.  It is sometimes even unpleasant.  Ask anyone who is chasing hard after God.  Even in an unsafe way.....He can keep me safe.  Maybe that is the prayer.  Lord.....keep me safe even in the lack of safety in this world....and when I run to the shelter of you....make feeling safe even safer.

Huh.

Maybe.

I worry about health vs. illness.  I worry about bills not getting paid.  I worry about people being mad at me or not approving of things I say or do.....I often feel unsafe in my worry.  Keep me safe, my God.  Help me not to worry.....in you I take refuge because you are strong and I am weak.  You protect.  You resolve things.....


I have five children who are all very different.  They all worry.  In that, they are all the same.  They worry about different things, maybe, but worry is a common denominator....and it is not from the Lord.  They all share their worries with me, if I take the time to ask and notice.  Just now, little Joe was drifting off to sleep and he felt something uncomfortable in his hand.  In a sleepy, slurry voice he said, "kiss it mom....kiss my owie hand"  and when I did, he yawned and said, "thanks" and started to snore softly.....sometimes the worry just needs a soft and present kiss.  Sometimes worry needs a back-rub.....or a good hug.  Sometimes it needs talking and listening....and sometimes it just needs me to say its gonna be ok (for the ones who take refuge in me).

Roger and I have both noticed a common theme in sermons, songs, scripture that have shown up this past week, telling us not to worry.  We went away for a 24 hour mini-vacation last night and had good food, good rest, some shopping and time to talk and nap and rest and breathe.....and we both noticed that there is a re-occuring idea to not worry.  Thank you, Nana Barb for letting this be possible!

Psalm 16:1 says.....Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.   In my mind, I can see myself running through a cold and windy, snowy field from an enemy....to a big rocky fortress, carved into a mountain....and once inside it is warm and dark and quiet and I feel safe.  I can breathe and I can see and I know that danger and harm may be outside but they are not in this refuge.  The refuge of the Lord.

so.

I should stay in Psalm 16 for awhile.  Again.  I have been here before.  Join me.  Verse 2 is coming soon.

Comments

  1. Instead, Jesus insisted on taking the little ones in His arms and blessing them (Mark 10:16). In the process, He invited all of us to trust Him like a little child (vv.13-16).

    Jesus lets us know that all of us are safe in His presence. Whether awake or asleep, we can lean on Him. When we’re exhausted, He provides a safe place for us to rest.

    Under His wings, I am safely abiding,
    Though the night deepens and tempests are wild;
    Still I can trust Him—I know He will keep me,
    He has redeemed me and I am His child. —Cushing

    God is a safe resting place

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware