Psalm 16:3-4

"I say of the holy people who are in the land, They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.  Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.  I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods or take up their names on my lips."

Please keep in mind that I am not a bible scholar.  Those who are would likely have a profound explanation about these verses.....I'm just gonna share what I think about them tonight, ok?  Take it or leave it.

Tonight, when I look at these verses, I find myself comparing two types of people in my life.  There are the noble ones who delight and please me and fill my cup and inspire me.....and there are those who run after other gods......who are chasing worldly things and worry mostly about their own selves.  David is saying he is choosing to not indulge in the worldly gods by sacrificing for them or talking about that stuff.  He is turning away from that and choosing to delight in the noble ones.

Other words that mean noble are the following:  virtuous, good, righteous, upright, upstanding, high-minded, principled, honorable, honest, just, incorruptible, scrupulous, respectable, decent and law-abiding.

I want to delight in this list and not feel jealous when other people have more or look better or seem to struggle less......I want to delight in the holy, noble ones.....and not those who run after other gods.  Furthermore.....I would like to be listed among the holy, noble ones.

Lord, Help me to become that person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware