missing uncle today

I'm missing my uncle Todd tonight.  I miss him out of nowhere.....as I am doing my day l remember something he said or did.  Tonight I am missing the fact that he thought about me and my family regularly and always wanted to help.  We have had a busy week here . We usually do.  It would have been typical for him to call me on Monday or Tuesday and say, "Hey Nik.....what does your week look like?  Could I make a meal one night to help you out?"  He did that often.  The meal was a blessing and a treat but actually, the thinking of me meant more.  The knowing that it is a lot of work to do life with a busy family, and that it mattered to him to help give me a boost.  I miss his boost.  I miss that he cared.  More than I miss his help, I miss that I mattered to him.  I miss that after I said yes, and we decided on a day, he would call me over and over again to ask questions.  Would the kids eat broccoli?  Which dessert.....peanut butter or mint......beef or pork?  .....he spent hours planning our meals.

I miss rushing into his house with kids in the car, the motor running, and going into his bedroom because he was always in bed trying to heal from a bed sore or infection.  I miss giving him the run down of everyone's activities and the latest cute things the little kids said or did.  I miss giving him a kiss on the cheek and saying "thank you uncle.  love you"  and having him smile and say "I love you too".  I just miss him.  I miss having him in my living.

He is in Heaven now and his body is whole and he is living a very different life every day....and I am so grateful that he is there. I can only imagine his thoughts and opinions on the hurricanes, on North Korea, on DACA politics.....he always had lots of opinions.   I miss hearing them because he had time to study, to research, to form educated thoughts.  I am pretty sure he doesn't miss being here on Earth with all the suffering and hardship.  I really hope he doesn't.  I really hope he is doing exactly what he said he planned to do.....to worship Jesus all day long and praise Him......

I guess, here on Earth, that is good medicine for me too.  Especially when I am missing his love.  I need to fix my eyes on Jesus as well....the author and perfector of my faith....and purpose myself to worship Him and praise Him.....as much as I can.....until I, too, can do it forever in Heaven.

Thanks, uncle for loving me so well and for helping me do life these past years.  I do miss you so much.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware