Lifelines

Lifeline is defined this way in the dictionary:
1.  a rope or line used for life-saving, typically one thrown to rescue someone in difficulties in water or one used by sailors to secure themselves to a boat.
2.  a thing on which someone or something depends or which provides a means of escape from a difficult situation.

A lifeline matters in the world today.  In my public health work, I assess this with the families I serve.  I will ask a young mother if she has a lifeline and explain to her what that means.  Far too often, the young stressed and burdened families I visit will say that they do not have a lifeline.  Imagine that.  No one to call out to for help in difficult times.  Nothing to depend on that will rescue them and help them escape hard situation.  No lifeline.

Having no lifeline is serious.  It means someone is drifting alone in treacherous water......and that is not ok.  My job, in part, is to help find and secure lifelines for families.....to build connections and relationships that are healthy and helpful.

I am so blessed.  I have a dozen lifelines.....if I cast out my rope when I am drowning, I have so many people who will pull me to safety.  Because of my privelege, I am committed to helping others find lifelines too.  Are you willing to be a lifeline for someone?  If so, I have those someones in mind....who need lifeline people.  People who will get their hands dirty to help.  People who will not freak out over a hard story, a difficult situation, a messy life.  These are exactly the situations that need a lifeline.  And they will use it.  Please do not volunteer if you don't mean to actually be helpful.

Lifelines are God's work.  He is for this.  He is about this.  He is the author of that rope that is used for life-saving.  He tied this rope around me when I was about 18. I had decided to test all of the truths and try live a godless life.....He held that rope fast around my waist so that if I drifted too far away, He could draw me back in to safe water........God Himself is my lifeline......and He still gave me people here on Earth to fill the position as well.  We all deserve a lifeline.

My oldest kids are growing up and will begin to leave home.  I need to help them identify their lifelines so that if they find themselves in difficult situations, they know who to call.  Lifelines matter, people.  Find yours.  Be one.  Help make the connections.  

Comments

  1. Claire better know that I am a lifeline:-) And I'll be in touch about the others!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware