a few words about what matters....to me.

Today we left home in the morning and drove to Sioux Falls to be a part of serving at The Banquet.  The Banquet is a ministry.....a place where people can come and eat lunch or dinner 6 days a week.  It is run on donations and prayer and volunteerism.  Today our church family took our turn serving.  There were a few dozen of us, ages ranging from 4-70s......and we visited with the guests, ate with them, prayed for them and served them.  4 of my 5 kids were able to join us in this.....and begin to understand what it means to serve.  My older kids have done this for years with my parents .  Roger and I can finally join them again because Josiah is old enough to be there too.  This few hours on this Saturday every year of Labor Day Weekend.....it matters.

After The Banquet we drove over to spend some time with a special little boy......we took Oh My! Cupcakes and our play mag set and we talked and snacked and played and went for a hike through trails.  He is important and it felt like Holy Ground to be with him for awhile.  Without more info given, please join us in prayer for him.....it matters

We left there and went to Cosco to enjoy the Saturday free samples (seriously though), and shop a bit.  Roger and I are price-comparing before we  dig into our fund-raising event.  Claire's high school dance team needs to raise some money for costumes and hotel fees at state, etc.  As a private Christian school, it is up to the team and their supporters to provide the means.  We advertised a sale of 2 different hot dishes and it was a slamming success.....next weekend we will prepare 313 casseroles to be frozen and delivered by the team and friends......if any non-team members want to donate spendy ingredients like mozzarella cheese, let me know in the next 48 hrs before we go back to Costco/Sam's Club/Fareway and Hy-Vee to buy the things we need!!!!!  this, too, matters.

Tomorrow evening we will have one of our international students over for a meal.  He is from South Korea and we hosted him last year as well.  He attends the local college.  We are his local family....and we are eager to have him back and be involved in his life...because it matters.

Daily we do things that matter.  We invest in peoples' lives, we give and serve.....we stick our neck out when we can....we put others' first.  In our home, this is what we do, what we teach, what we strive for......because I believe this is our best way to walk with Jesus in the world.  Its the only way I know how to do so.

Something else matters.  It is the sense of self, of me, of rest.  It is my responsibility to make time for this too and that time is coming soon.  I looked at next week and there is a chance for a day....a mental health day...and if not I will look to the next week and the next.  Time to rest, to fill my cup, to take care of myself and celebrate life.  Taking time for me allows me to continue to reach for all the things that matter, all the things that are possible every single day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware