Sacred spaces.

I don't know if anyone has ever used this phrase before but I hope not so that I can "coin" it.  Say it with me......sacred spaces.  Here is what this means to me.

Claire and I have been talking about some of her school assignments.  For her bible class (which she loves) she needed to interview someone older about their life and how faith factored in.  We listed off all of the possible people she could interview (couldn't be family and had to be over 40) and the list was long.  She is blessed beyond measure to have so many spiritual rocks and influences to call upon.  Somewhere close to midnight the other night, we decided that my friend Ms. Arlene would be a great person to talk to for this assignment.  Claire hasn't spent time with her before, but I have and Ms. Arlene knows Claire through me.  Unfortunately life got in the way and it has been a year or so since we regularly met to visit.  Today after church, I called her and asked if we could come for Claire's interview.  Of course she said "yes".

Ms. Arlene is 92.  She spent her working years as a missionary nurse in Africa and loves the Lord with a passion and depth I have seldom witnessed.  Now she spends her "winter" years as a prayer warrior, intercessor and mentor to other young women who are finding their way in God's plan.  I consider it a rare and special thing that Claire and I could sit in her formal living room and talk about her faith journey with Jesus over the 92 years of her life.  She is sharp and beautiful and classy and real.  The entire visit was special and in my heart I decided I cannot stay away from Ms. Arlene.  I need to visit her more.....for me, not her.  You might think the visit was sacred space, but no.  You might guess that Arlene's instruction to my daughter to make careful choices in life and always keep Jesus fixed in front of you in whatever you do.....or her example of the vision she saw in church of Jesus climbing a steep and narrow staircase to heaven.....or examples of her missionary work.....or her explanation of knowing the smell and feeling of evil........those are all things that are beyond value to me, that she imparted to my child.

Sacred space came.......when Claire prayed at the end of the interview, as a 16 year old would.  She was self-consious, overwhelmed, fumbling for words and yet tender and real in prayer.....and we said Amen....and then Ms. Arlene prayed......to Jesus, the only lover of her soul.....and she prayed for my child, for her future, for her protection and her journey in life and all that is ahead of her in her adventure with God Almighty........and that, friends, was the sacred space.

Last fall, my friend Sarah Rebbavarapu visited my town, and we scheduled time with Sheila DeJong who is also my friend and the founder of Katelyn's Fund orphan ministry, along with Lindsey Farmer who is a young woman ON FIRE for helping children know the love of Jesus and the Kingdom of Heaven......and in a small office, we 4 prayed together for the children of God around the world, and for more people to join in and help these fatherless ones know the one Father........and I could not even speak in that prayer room much of the time because it was such Holy Ground, such Sacred Space.

In bible days, the priests would prepare before they went into the temple to pray.  A rope was tied around their waste so that if God Almight struck them dead in the Holy of Holies, someone could drag them out.  I feel like one of those priests, lately, as God continues to lead me to the sacred spaces of my world.  I guess I am writing this to you all know, that you may be the ones to drag me back out by the rope if He should decide my days are done while I am dwelling in these ever-increasing sacred spaces.

Here is my challenge tonight.  Sacred spaces are not rare or unusual.......start working to find yours.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware