April 6 is special.....

22 years ago, on a Wednesday similar to today, on April 6 an important chapter in my story began.  I left nursing school class at noon and skipped the afternoon courses so that I could go home and try on everything I owned, hoping to find a nice outfit.  I was going on a date with a "nice guy" and I didn't have anything to wear.  I was so nervous.  I raided my mom's closet of dressy clothes and found something "nice".  A peach blazer, and dressy slacks and flats.  I didn't even really remember what he looked like because it was a "set-up" date from friends of ours......I had seen him a few times in the steak house and lounge where I waitressed and bar-tended every weekend to pay for room and board and nursing school.  The friends set us up and we set a date for Wednesday because I worked every weekend.  

He pulled up to the curb in a very clean and shiny white Thunderbird and my heart skipped a beat when he got out of the car, came to the door and opened my door.  Wow.  I guess that's what "nice guys" do.  We were both nervous on that first date, me wanting to make a good impression and not screw this up.  Him.....well......maybe he wasn't nervous and just a talker.......

Neither of us can remember why we chose a Chinese Restaurant for our first date......but it was a nice place an hour out of town and we enjoyed it very much.  

Every year, since 1994, on April 6 we try to eat c
Chinese.  Some years we have gone out, some years we have dined in, some years with kids, some years without but it is an annual recognition and rememberance of our first "yes" to each other.  

This morning, he texted me and said "Happy 22 year first date anniversary!" and I had not even considered it yet.  We met for lunch at a local Chinese spot.  It was delicious and the company was just right.   The fact that he remembered first is special.  He is special.  We have made a life together that is special.   

Years ago, he asked why I never wore that peach blazer again, that I wore on our first date.  I had to confess that it wasn't mine.  He came to realize I am less of a blazer/slacks/flats girl and more of a t-shirt/skirt and sneaker girl......and since we are going strong at 22 years, I guess he has accepted that.  

I pray we get at least 22 more years of April 6 dates for Chinese food.....and maybe 22 more after that.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware