dancing the minuet

Today, Roger and I spent time in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.  We are here for a few days on a get-away.....and expenses paid trip once we sat through the time share pitch this afternoon.....and boy, do they make it hard to say no!  (We did, tho)

We toured historical buildings from the 1700s, hearing stories of the history of the colonial days, the tensions between Europe and settlers, stories that were happy and funny and tragic and humbling......

In this room of the Governor's Palace, which is the Ball Room, we learned this.  "The minuet sets the social order", said the tour guide......and we could imagine the violin, the flute, the harpsicord, the organ, and the beautiful lords and ladies waiting to dance......The minuet was the first song of the ball....so that everyone could know who the most important couple in the room was....and second to dance the minuet, was the second most important and so on and so forth.......and while it was romantic to imagine this, it was also sad.  Very few couples were in the top 2 to dance the minuet......most stood and watched.  Native Americans who were fighting for territory may have been watching, held politely as guests at the ball but against their will, according to our tour guide.  Servants, who were black slaves and considered property may have also been watching and whether or not they could dance the minuet or even play it.....they would never cross the ball room first.  These were my thoughts as I stood with the 50 other people in the ball room of the 18th century governors palace in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia.  I learned alot on this tour of our history.  I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to think about the way our history and our country began with the destruction of other cultures of people groups who were living just fine before white Europeans showed up on this land....I didn't want to face the pride and arrogance and entitlement of our historical ancestors.....     Tonight, I can say I am glad I toured Colonial Williamsburg.

I don't think I learned much in American History in high school.  I learned alot today.  I spent the day with my husband of almost 20 years.......and he, too, was moved by the idea of slaves as the norm in Virginia in the 1700s......and we both thought about our African American daughter.  We are paying for dance classes for her and believe me.....someday, if she wants to dance the minuet.....she will have a first and important ticket to do so.

After our Colonial tour, we went to our time share talk and were presented with a really awesome package for vacations every year......at gorgeous resorts around the world......and in our hearts and dreams we watched the most important couples dance the minuet across the ball room floor ahead of us.......and at the end of the 2 hours and 23 minutes, we shook hands with the staff and walked out the door that was meant for those who weren't buying their package.......

Sometimes life feels like the ballroom and the really important and wealthy and popular people get to dance the minuet before the rest of us, to prove they are better than, more worthy, and establish the social order.  I guess that's ok.  I guess sometimes its just important to be in the room.  Had I not been in the ballroom, learning about our history, I could not be prepared for what I will eventually have to learn to help my children as they navigate their place in history as well as the social order of their lives.  I cannot imagine telling Precious Maryn and Josiah, that their ancestors were likely slaves, held against their will, in homes of white plantation owners.  Today, I cannot fathom it without feeling sick to my stomach.  The more I sit with it, the better the Lord will prepare me to help them when we do have to talk through it and more importantly......since their daddy was here with me.....he will help them, too.

We are no longer in 18th Century Williamsburg.  We live now and history is there to teach us what was good and what was not in our past.  Embracing both will help us make a better future.....one where everyone can dance the minuet all at the same time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware