fosters on Friday

 I'm writing on Thursday night but will likely post on Friday....to be technical.  I'm weighing in some thoughts on foster care tonight.  My new foster care t-shirt is washed and dried and folded to wear tomorrow....and I love it.  I bought it as a fund-raiser donation for my friend Sarah who was helping her daughter raise money to train her therapy dog.....her daughter has spina bifida and this dog will help her get around.  How cool is that!  So yeah....I bought the shirt.  (and maybe a cool bag)

  Foster care is a really strange thing.  Unique.  Special and also bizarre and hard.  We have complete control over what our extra kredits eat, wear, and where they go and what they do.....we tuck them in at night and pray with them, we kiss their owies and give hugs and snuggles.....but we have no control or influence in what happens with their lives.  We hear and hold the hard stories....and document and report what we need to.  We fill out the forms and keep the appointments and make sure all the things happen that are age-appropriate....but we don't get any input in what they need.  It's just really odd.  

   We haven't done foster care for awhile.  Our last extra left over a year ago and he's been curious and waiting for us to get new kids.  He walked a bag of clothes over for the kids last weekend.  How cool is that?  

   We have the Kredits and the extra kredits...and also we now have extra extra kredits....cuz why not?  One of the extra xK comes for breakfast during the school week.  He was having a hard time getting to school and his mom asked me if I had any ideas on how to get him there since she has to leave for work earlier.....I told her to ask him if he wanted to get dropped off here on her way to work and that seems to be working out just fine.  He comes in and greets everyone, sits down for breakfast, pets the pups and gets on the bus with our kids.  

   Foster is described in the dictionary as:  to encourage or promote the development of something, typically something regarded as good

I like that definition.  I think I'll keep doing that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware