some thoughts on perspective

I've been thinking about perspective today.  I went for a walk because it is late October and the sun was shining and my weather app said it was 60 degrees.  Along the way, I noted that 60 degrees on October 29 with significant wind is not as warm and pleasant as 60 degrees in April after a long dark cold winter.  60 should be 60 right?  60 is not 60.  60 is only the temperature of the company that it keeps. 

Let that sink in a bit.  60 is only as warm or cold as the company it keeps.  Metaphorically speaking....so are you and I.  I am only as warm or cold or generous or selfish as the company that term keeps.  It is all relative to what is around me, what else is considered in the moment.  I can be extravagantly selfish on Monday morning with my music playing and a hot cup of tea and a room full of quiet peace......but I cannot be that selfish at 5:30pm when my family is all around me and waiting for dinner, a ride here or there, a chance to discuss something important, or a spouse who had a hard day and needs a break. 

This morning I sat with Isaiah 6 for awhile in my comfy chair in a quiet house.  It is Isaiah's commission and it has so many good lessons.  In the margin, some time ago, I wrote these words that must have come from a sermon or a talk or something:  "You have to be in his presence before you can minister of his presence".  That is a good word right there.   You cannot go out and serve and love and give and pour out yourself in Jesus name if you have not first spent time in his presence, being filled up by him.  The great cup-filler and energy giver and purpose revealer must first have His time in my presence before I am ready to go out and pour out on others.  Perspective changed my day today.  

Later in the day, I was feeling very much "less than" and I asked my self, or maybe the Holy Spirit asked me....." what 2 things would you like to change?"  my answer was fast.  I want to be thinner and I want to have enough money to pay our bills.   Instantly, Wisdom told me that my perspective was wrong.  "Those are worldly wants, child."   "Reach higher".    Yes.   If my perspective is from the world, I will always lack and fall short and be less than.  The one who is seated on the throne, high and exalted, has a train of his robe that fills the temple.  Angels sing about him and cry Holy, Holy Holy because He is so full of glory.....and if my eyes are fixed on Him then I know that I am beautiful.  I am worthy.  I am enough.  I am expected to love well and accept love.  I am beautiful in the eyes of the one who created me.    (And.  So.  Are.  You.)

I hope to try to take time on Monday mornings to sit in His Presence.....before I go out and minister in it.  I hope to do so again of Friday mornings before I tackle the weekend of family and social things......and I hope that God gives me supernatural perspective every day in every moment.  

Isaiah 6:  3:   And they were calling to one another:  "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware