It is hard to be a parent.....

Being a parent is just hard.  It is the hardest thing ever.  Because I know this, I have chosen a career working with young parents.....as if I don't get enough at home.  Yikes.  I'm sitting here in the dark typing a blog because what I really want to do is watch my latest Netflix binge series....but I can't because Ms. Precious apparently cannot sleep tonight.  So she is in my room, in her nest on the floor.  tossing and turning.  I want to yell at her and force her to go back to her bed right this minute because, quite frankly, I am done parenting today.  I won't do that.  That won't help her.  Or me.  Her nest is our compromise for her restlessness.  She is not in our bed anymore.....but she sometimes cannot sleep in her bed either.  I just want some solitude....I just want some privacy and some down time....to watch my stupid (albeit inappropriate) Netflix show.  It's called Orange is the New Black.  It is wonderful and aweful.  Don't watch it, seriously.  Don't get started. 

Roger is trying to get Josiah to sleep because he took a nap this afternoon and he doesn't take naps.  He won't sleep soon either....thankfully Roger also took a nap so I think they will manage without me.  Parenting is just hard.  We had some late nights and some really, really busy days.....and the late nights were cold and windy and we all just feel kind of aweful.  Jeremiah's arm hurts.  Isaac is working long shifts on the weekends and busy with high school.  We had our school soup supper last night and Grandparents Day yesterday.  The grandparents come and go to school with the kids and it is awesome.  I made creamed chicken for the soup supper and worked the soup supper and froze my tail off at the game......being a parent is just hard.  It mostly doesn't feel all warm and fuzzy.  Especially in October. 

When parents decide they want a baby, or when a baby comes unexpectedly, there are expectations and dreams and then there is the mundane daily grind of parenting.  It is so hard to reconcile the two.  Being a parent is and SHOULD BE the hardest job ever.  Bringing humans into the world and raising them up for 20 years or so and then sending them out into the world to live and do good and glorify God.....it is absolutely exhausting work when your goal is to do it well. 

Cheers to all the parents out there.  Hats off and glasses tipped to each and every one of you.  Here is to giving it our best effort today and to Grace as we repent of all we wish we had done differently.  Here is to mercy.  His Mercy is new every morning.  Here is to our mistakes and our successes, our prayers and our tears.  Our frustrations and our hope.  Cheers.  Cheers to all of the young and starry eyed folks who are waiting to be parents and dreaming of their sweet children.  Cheers to the kids because, quite frankly, they are my favorite even when I am empty and tired and completely done for the day.  Cheers to quiet and restful snoring and a dark room and an end to a very full day. 

Tomorrow.....we will rise and sing songs of Praise and we will brush our teeth and eat our breakfast and go to church.  This mom will make Sunday dinner and we will watch football and maybe go get some pumpkins to carve.  If we do, we will carve them with very sharp knives and lots of newspaper in the garage to clean up the seeds and sloppy pumpkin guts.  We will find candles to place in the jack-o-lanterns we create and when the sun goes down shortly after supper hour, we will light them up.  If you live nearby, please do drive by and if you see our pumpkins glowing on the doorstep, give a smile, or give a honk in solidarity for all we do as parents. 

Because.  As we all know.  Parenting is very, very hard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware