Mother's Day Holiday....part 3

Happy Mother's Day!  It has been a happy day here for me, except that my husband is away on a business trip.  Other than that my 5 sweet children have been here with me and I am enjoying their presence and their love. 

A couple of months ago, some of you wrote to me.  I asked  you to share what it means to be a good mother.  The comments that came in are wonderful and true.  My mother's day gift to all of you who read my ramblings is to share them with you all in one place. 

What Makes A Good Mama?  

  Be attentive.  Admit when you are wrong and ask for grace and forgiveness.  Be patient.  Show steadfast love.  Be solid.  Be someone your children can turn to.  Be full of grace.  Show unconditional love.  Be present.  Be self-denying.  Be warm.  (gosh I love this one....for so many reasons.  mid-life flashes included, as well as just being the kind of warm that feels good in a hug.)  Be trust-worthy.  Show love.  Teach respect.  Teach your children to love others.  Be an advocate for your kids.  Try hard not to raise your voice.      (Lets just sit with that one for a moment.  Lets take a deep and cleansing breath.  I mean it.  Do it now.   Lord God of Heaven, give us all discipline to not raise our voices and to speak with quiet authority.....in Jesus most Holy Name.)  Be goofy.  Be a good listener.  Be honest, intuitive.  Have a good sense of humor.  (Ask my kids, I'm the funniest person I know.)  Be active in their lives.  Be a good communicator.  Be optimistic.  Demonstrate and teach accountability.  Be a safe harbor for your kids.  Be prayerful.  Stand your ground with discipline and structure.  Love and appreciate each child for who they are.  Bring out the best in your kids.  (I also really love this one......)   Be a hard worker.  Put away your phone.  Be aware of the dangers of social media and be a protector of your children.  Lead by example.  Love your spouse.  Love your neighbors.  Enjoy the journey.  Tell your children how proud and lucky you are to be their mom.  Tell them they are sweet.  Let the laundry pile up and just sit with them.  Be their biggest cheerleader.  Choose to be what you hope they become.  (That one is worth repeating.)  Choose To Be What You Hope They Become.  Show them how to lean in close to God when they struggle.  Be humble.  Kiss their hands, their toes and their cheeks.  (often).  Whisper prayers in their ears.  Sing "Jesus Loves Me" over and over and over.  Spend time playing with them, listening to them, dreaming. 

You guys, this is a good, good list.  Pick something from it, maybe just one thing.  Lets pick one thing and spend the next 365 days working on that one thing that can make us good mamas.  Encourage other mamas.  Lets help each other do this hard and very good work of raising up our babies to be good people who are kind, generous and good.  Lets help them find their journey and the purpose God created them for and celebrate when they find that path. 

I hope each mama out there felt loved and affirmed today.  If not, please let me know and we can work on that together moving forward. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware