Mondays and the work of the week.

I sat with the Lord this morning for a bit.  Not long enough, but awhile.  I had my bible open and was praying/reading/listening which is sort of our thing.  I was trying to settle my heart before I started my week.  Last week I did the same thing, after the insanity of NFL kneel vs. stand....and all the feelings that stirred in me.  Last Monday I did the same thing.  I sat with the Lord until He and I made sense of it and I could start my day.  This week, I sat there, trying to settle the frustration of plans that change. 

I had designated this week to time for me.  Exercise.  Cooking.  Cleaning.  Organizing.  Being in my home by myself and doing what felt good.....for me.  Unfortunately, Josiah developed a fever yesterday and had a really long night of coughing and restlessness.  So this morning, I sat with the Lord to reset all my buttons because there would be no personal time today.  I would care for my son at home and because I was exhausted from sleeplessness.......my productivity tanked. 

Newsflash.  Kids get sick.  Kids come first. 

The Lord and I sat together long enough for me to frame up my day.  He and I decided it would be smart to make homemade chicken noodle soup because if viral illness is among us, we must fight it with the tools we have.  If I am going to make chicken noodle soup, from scratch, I am going to thaw and cook an entire chicken.  I will chop and dice fresh garlic and onion and throw in real carrots and celery and tend to that pot all day long.  I will.  I did.  The result is fabulous. 

Instead of a day spent scratching my itches, tending to my hurts and filling my cup, I spent much of it on the phone with an IT guy from my work because there was something wrong with the system and the result was that I would not get a paycheck if we didn't resolve this.  Much of my day.  Most.  of my day.  in fact, it was my day.  We got it solved, I put in my hours from last week.....I will get a paycheck. 

I had felt a nudge from God to bless a friend with a meal so I worked on that today as well.  I decided that Jeremiah would love it if he could come home to deviled eggs.  He loves them.  I made them.  He didn't come home.  He went with Roger to a town an hour away to watch Isaac's football game since Jeremiah's game was rained out.  I stayed home with littles who have sniffles and coughs.  I need to get my dishes done so that I can sit down and watch my favorite prime time series, The Voice.  It starts in 15 minutes. 

Mondays may be more about adjusting than about accomplishing.....my Mondays seem to be. 

In case you are wondering, I am willing to make food for folks nearby.  I am looking for some ways to make some extra money......and I am always cooking anyway.  Let me know if you want a meal once in awhile.....I'll include my chicken soup recipe tonight as an act of good will.

1 whole chicken, thawed.  Place in crock pot with drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Cook on high until internal thermometer reads about 165 degrees,  take bird out to cool.  Chop about 2 tbs fresh garlic cloves, one small white onion, 3 cups of celery and about 4 cups of carrots.  Add to chicken stock the veggies and about 4 cups of chicken broth or more, depending on how much soup you want to make.  Break a half a box of spaghetti noodles into thirds and add to the pot.  Cook on high until veggies and noodles are tender.  Add a generous spoon full of dried thyme, and some salt and pepper to taste.  Shred the chicken after 2 hours and add it to the soup.  Cook until desired consistency.  Serve with warm rolls, saltines and.....for me.....a big glass of wine. 

Happy Monday everyone.....here's to healthy homes and restful nights and new beginnings....on Tuesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware