some fall things


On this Sabboth day, I have rested.  I took a walk, I took a nap, and I watched some football and some crime drama.  One of the commercials was for the annual Charlie Brown Halloween show.  I do not like Halloween at all, but I do love all things Charlie Brown. 

The Charlie Brown episodes of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are special to me.  I would rearrange my schedule to be home to watch these whenever possible.  They take me back to a sweet  place of childhood.  Simple times, easy answers......

Tonight my childhood best friend called me to ask a simple question.  We don't talk often....but hearing her voice felt like watching Charlie Brown Halloween all over again.  I could pour out my thoughts to her and say things I don't say to anyone I currently see every day. 

Childhood is a big deal.  It is a sacred deal.  It is something that matters so much.  It is where memories are made, where ideals are formed, where opinions start.  In childhood, we experience things in an age-appropriate way, and we observe the adults around us, and we become....who we will be. 

I hate Halloween but I love the 30 minute show with the Peanuts' characters, the pumpkins, the starlight....because my mom was fun and invested, I also want to be that.  I buy and carve pumpkins in October and make a really yummy snack mix of candy corns, roasted peanuts and M&Ms.  I set out decorations that are fall-ish.  I buy candles that smell like cinnamon and spice......and I hope that I am making a template for my children that makes fall feel wonderful and fragrant and that remembers simple days. 

I think the episode will aire the last Thursday of October, if I remember.  If you want to come over and watch it with me, I will maybe have candles burning and sweet snacks on the table.....and maybe some apple cider.......and a jack-o-lantern.......and if its cold enough, a fire in my wood-burning stove.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware