Jars of Oil and listening ears

Today our sermon in church was from 2 Kings 4 about the widow and the jars of oil.  This is one of my all time favorite stories in the bible.  6 years ago, we were preparing to go to India for the first time, it may have even been about this time of April in fact.  I was worried about how to pay for such an extravagant trip on a tight budget.  Roger may or may not have also brought up that point once the decision was made to travel to southern India to see the children of Sarah's Covenant Homes for the first time.  As I was praying about this, talking with the Father, he hinted at this particular passage....so I got out my bible and read through it.

My desire had been to just buy the tickets on a credit card and be done with it......I hate asking people for help, especially for money.  When I went through the story, I felt like God was saying....go to YOUR neighbors and ask them for THEIR empty jars.......not just pay for it yourself and move on.  It was very humbling for me to write letters explaining our trip and asking for donations.  Very humbling.  But obedient.  So many people joined us, my friend Deanne and I, on this trip through their financial help and their prayers.....and they would have not been able to do this if I had not asked for their empty jars.  My friend Jen found us these jars and gave them to us as a symbol of promise.  God came through for us and filled all the jars with oil, above and beyond what I needed for my trip.

Tonight Claire goes to her first planning meeting for this trip to Haiti she will do in June.....and her empty jars were also filled to overflowing by the generosity of our neighbors......thank you neighbors.

Sometimes we go and sometimes we send others.  Going is actually more scary.  Sending sometimes keeping a few empty jars handy.

There was another part to the 2 Kings 4 story that I haven't shared much about.  God reminded me of it this morning and I think He wants me to share it, even though I would rather not.  I was able to bring along more money than I needed in India.  In fact, I took home MORE than I spent going.  When we travelled home that first time, I knew I wanted to return.  I spent the long flight home dreaming of how soon I could go back.  I had a good chunk of the money I needed for the next plane ticket.

A young girl from our local college wanted to go to India over her Christmas break that year.  She and I had been chatting about it and I felt like I could help her pay for her trip.  When it came right down with it, I gave her a donation but left feeling conflicted.  I should have given her all of it....and I only gave her.........some.  I wrestled with God about it in prayer, through a trusted friend, and in arguing with God some more.....and eventually I gave her the rest of the money.  All of it.  I sure didn't want to but I knew God wanted me to so I did it.

I did get to go on a second trip to India that year to finish what I had started the first time.  Another generous donation payed for my plane ticket.  Completely.

The other part from my morning sermon that I want to remember here is the pastor's call to Listen, to Love and to Pray.  They all matter in service to Jesus and caring for His people......when we listen and love and pray, the mighty hand of God moves.  He stirs people to ask for empty jars, to offer the jars, then he does miracles and wonders and fills the jars and provides for his people.  That widow went out and sold the jars of oil and had enough to pay her debts and to support her children.  I'm thinking she didn't have to ask twice.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware