a college visit and aching for Grace......

Today I listened to the sound of my own shoes click-clacking down the hall.  My feet hurt from walking all over campus but I could not complain because I had chosen those shoes today intentionally.  I wanted to look nice.  None of the other moms were making noise with their shoes.......we were on a college visit with Claire.

We spent the day touring the campus, listening to a panel of students and faculties, eating in the cafeteria and talking to representatives of the majors and activites Claire was interested in,  Social Work.  Study abroad.  Religion.  Dance team.

Claire is very busy and very independent and responsible.  We don't see her for more than a few minutes a day most days....but today we got to spend the whole day with her.  We asked questions and listened to why this college would be a great choice for our daughter....and we did not find fault in it.  It was such a fun day!  the worst part was my aching feet.

How was I to know that you should wear comfortable, practical shoes on a college visit?  I had never done this before.  Before the next college visit I'm going shopping for more comfy, yet still attractive shoes.  My reward was at lunch in the cafeteria.....one of the cooks complimented me on my outfit....and my bag.  Mom got a win.

During out college visit day, I got a message from Grace.  Grace was our international exchange student last year from Korea...she was letting me know that her dad died today from his long and painful battle with cancer.  My heart aches for sweet Grace today, and for her mother who are now alone in the world.....and I love her so much that I just wish I could magically teleport myself to South Korea right now and give her a big hug and hold her hand and cry with her.  We prayed many prayers for her dad when she was living with us.  I didn't even know he had gotten worse.

The social work professior today called Life i a beautiful mess.  It is true.  Today I have a mix  of joy and sorrow, excitement and loss.  Our days are so full and so busy and exhausting and even on the longest days the time is going so fast.  We are having conversations about high school graduation, college visits, career paths.  These days are so special and so fleeting.......and our time on earth is very short, folks.

We do not have an option to care or not care for the children, to fix the meals, to go to work and to pay the bills....but we do have an option in attitude.  I've been rather stessed and crabby for too long now.  I want that to change......if for nothing else, than in honor of Grace's father today.  I think he would like more time here with his Earthly family but God chose to take him home to his eternal reward as a faithful Christian husband, father and teacher.  I cannot go to his funeral but I can offer my attitude as a memorial to him tonight.

Rest in peace, faithful man of God who loved his family well.  Lord Jesus, when I am feeling frustrated and tense and am not being kind, remind me that my days, too, are numbered here and help me to be a kinder, more gentle and joyful presence here on earth....as it is in Heaven.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware