Practice hospitality......part of my verse for 2016....for such a time as this!!!!!

Ok folks.  I'm fuming a bit here.....Can you hear the hiss?  Can you see the steam coming from my ears?  Righteous indignation has visited my Wednesday.  Let me explain.  Tonight, Roger took the majority of the Kredit clan to church and typically, on Wednesday evenings Grace and Josiah and I hang out for a couple of hours in a quieter space.  He eats whatever sounds good for supper....I munch....and Grace makes Korean food that satisfies her body and soul.....and sometimes the house gets rather aromatic and that's ok.....but the other Kredits aren't used to the strong smells of garlic, sesame and fish and so I diffuse oils, clean up and smile as she eats the things she loves.  I am happy to accommodate her with food and try to find local things that she can make that are familiar.

Tonight I commented on her very Asian dish she prepared and she said that she knows many, many students around the country who live with host families as she does.  Often, the students are not allowed near the refrigerator.  Say what?  Yep.  They may not go near the food or prepare anything themselves and definitely no Korean food.  What the heck?  Additionally, she told me that many students have to do the dishes and clean the house regularly or they are not allowed to spend time with friends.  In the USA.  In 2016.  What is wrong with people?!

This is not in Sioux Center, Iowa, mind you, but around our country, host families are blatantly and very wrongly taking advantage of foreign exchange students.  It is common knowledge among the students.  I am appalled and disgusted and down right pissed off right now.  How do people get away with that?!

Practice.....hospitality.  It is biblical.  It is humane.  Invite a student into your home if you can and open up your world to them, as you inquire and explore their world in yours.  Learn and grow and share the journey.  Do not capitalize on someone else's vulnerability.

I have no idea how to go about advocating for this population, and executing justice on the selfish, pathetic creatures who are behaving this way to their guest students, but if anyone out there has ideas, let me know.

Unacceptable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware