an ode to February and a dumb red pillow.....

This week I had a couple days home during the week.  I got socked by a 24 hour flu bug and just layed on the couch for a day or two.  I watched daytime television which I NEVER do because I am either working or the kids have command of the remote.  Often, the tv is just not on in our home.  I am always drawn to the cooking shows, like Rachel Ray and the Pioneer Woman, and I found one that had cooks and home decorators and fashion experts on it.  I can't remember the name....The Chew maybe?  Anyway, I was all in on the food part, I was interested in the up and coming spring clothing fashions, and then the home interior guy came on.  He was talking about the challenge of post-Christmas interior decor.  I actually agree with this, even though I don't have the time or talent or money to spend on home decorating.

I recently took down all the Christmas cards from friends and family.  I packed away the collection of Nativity scenes I put out first and keep out the longest in the Christmas season.....my home feels....well, less decorated.  There is still snow outside so it doesn't feel time to add spring things to the shelves and walls.  Sigh.

Mr. Decor suggested setting out some fresh throw pillows in fabrics that shimmer and shine in creams, silver, white, etc.  He showed how this little touch just brightened up the couch and living area of the sample room......and I thought, well, I can do that!  I decided to walk around some stores and see if I could find some small items that could brighten up our living space in this vaccuum season between winter and spring.  The next day I was fully recovered and wandered around the local mall, hoping for some valentine treats for my loves, and some spring spritzing.......nothing, nada.

Yesterday I took Grace to Sioux City for her college exam and had 4 hours to myself.  I hit Target first (and hard).  I found lots of great stuff......for our Valentine's Dinner here at at home Valentine night......new things to set the table......and some stuff I actually needed....but I had Target Fever big time....that red dot was everywhere....and I kept finding things on clearance which NEVER happens to me!  I found this awesome red throw pillow for the family room couch and decided that it would be a lovely accent to the drab post-winter look.  I then looked for the white and cream and shimmery ones that Mr. Decor suggested....but for cryin out loud....they were all $20 each!  (for a freakin pillow!)  All I could think of was my dogs dragging the pillows out into the snow and destroying them.  One $5 pillow on clearance, sure, but not $60 worth to complete the look.

Well.

I got home and unpacked my purchases and and Precious and Josiah loved their new swim suits and goggles and pjs and such.....and my mom approved of my new table cloth and napkins for fancy dinners......but that red pillow.  It doesn't match.  Anything.  Not in any room.  It's a weird shade of red (heads up.....clearance much?) and it is not going to add a splash of anything in the family room or anywhere else I'm afraid.  Dumb red pillow that was supposed to "perk up" my home til spring.....what did I really expect for $5?

February lessons:
1.  Think twice before purchasing something just because it is marked for clearance, especially in February.
2.  Don't watch home decorating shows when you have no time, money or talent in this arena.
3.  Admit when you decide to just have a weak moment of retail therapy.....and then move on.
4.  Next year leave the nativity stuff out until Easter......
5.  Stop trying to find valentines day gifts that appeal to everyone age 3 to 46.
6.  Focus more on love than stuff.
7.  It's 28 days of torture in Iowa.....do what you must to survive it.  Spring will come.
8.  Eat the daggum chocolate.
9.  Take probiotics and sleep more.
10.  Leave the television off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware