Lent-ish

The internet's definition says that the BBC Religion page describes Ash Wednesday and Lent as:  .....the beginning of Lent for Western Christian churches.  It's a day of penitence to clean the soul before the Lent fast........which is 46 days (minus the 6 Sundays) before Easter.  I am not a bible scholar but from what I understand it is more Christian tradition and religion than biblical law.....

For a few years and seasons of my life, I made a list of 6 different comforts and took a week to live with out one at a time, and spent more time in prayer and communion with the Lord, preparing for Easter.  I remember specific and significant growth in my faith through this discipline.....fasting is an important Spiritual Discipline.  For me, if God asks me to fast, it is effective and I am successful.  A few years ago, I tried my "lenton fast" routine and failed miserably and was feeling ashamed and weak and pathetic and dumb.  I saught the Lord in my failure and clearly felt Him say to me, "I never asked you to do that."  It was an ah-hah moment for me.  I won't be successful or moved by a spiritual discipline if God didn't call me to move there.

Today, as I sat on my lazy couch recovering from a short bout with the flu, I was considering Ash Wednesday  and wondering how to connect with God there.  I saw this post come across social media and decided this.......this is my thing this year.  I have garbage bags.  I have a closet exploding with things I didn't wear this year or last year......and if once a day I can dig into that vortex of chaos and pluck out something.....forty times......and remember to fix my eyes on Jesus when I do so......well I say that's a winner this year.

If you don't really understand Lent......or feel equipped to fast......join me in a springtime purge that will bless some charity organization in 46 days.......and perhaps we can also take some time every day to realize our salvation, or hopelessness without a savior, our gift and inheritance in Heaven....because of Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware