parenting vs. grand-parenting.....according to my very small opinion thusfar

Gosh.....what's not to love about this photo?!  I mean.....seriously......in Yellowstone National Park at some steamy geyser with a funky name.....I love these kids so much.

Every day, I go to exhaustion for the daily care and raising and formation of these 5 people.....and I hope and pray that God, in His Mercy, will help me know what they need to fulfil their destinies in this world.  It's a weighty thing to parent.

Someday, they will all be grown up and some if not all of them will marry and some if not all of them will become parents......and I will get to be a grandma who loves and sends home, who blesses but doesn't have to agonize about decisions......

Tonight, I got a small taste of what that will be like.  This summer, I've been watching some extra kiddos to help pay some bills, and to help out some friends who needed childcare for summer.  One little girl, Jerzi, is just a few months older than Josiah.  After being gone for a long vacation I was very ready to have my "extra Kredits" back today....and according to their mama, they were ready to see me too!  After a 9 1/2 hour day having them, they went home and I did my evening stuff with my kids.  Around 8pm, Jerzi's mama texted me.  she had hurt her fingers and was crying for Niki......and then she called so I could talk to her and sweet baby girl was just sobbing for her Niki.....be.  still.   my.  heart.  So.  Of Course, I said to come over right now!

Like the good grandma I will be someday, I had bandaids and chocolate and motrin ready....and the "Owie Owl" ice pack.....and lots of hugs and snuggles and love......and her mama, my sweet friend, was grateful for the distraction and re-grouping for the very intense, very feisty, very emotional and very hurting Jerzi girl......so I got to do some grandma practice......and then sent Jerzi home with her mom, hoping that they didn't have a horrible night, but also understanding that its the mom's job to do night vigil.....and the "grandma" gets to just love and bless and then be done.

Jerzi will be back tomorrow morning, and hopefully her smashed fingers will look better and not worse.....but this child, and her tender mama, know that I'm here for them.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware