Jeremiah, freshman football jersey, and his love language: acts of service......

Jeremiah was getting ready for bed last night after football practice.  I was downstairs switching laundry, as I often am.  He came in and said, "mom do you know (insert girls name I won't share)?   I didn't know her.  I asked why.  He said she had asked him if she could wear his football jersey at school this year.  "Wow!  What did you say?"  I asked.  He told her he didn't want people thinking they liked each other.  She assured him that wouldn't happen.  What?  Jeremiah!  What if she likes you?  What if this was her way of hinting to you????????????   By this time I am trailing behind him as he makes a bee-line for his bedroom......because I want to TALK ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!  Is she  cute?  Could you like her?   He closed the door on my face and said "Goodnight mom!"   Good talk Jeremiah.  Good talk. 

Jeremiah starts high school on Thursday.  High School.   I have no idea how we got here.  2 blinks ago I was walking him into Kindergarten......2 blinks before that he was my baby.......and now at 14 he is half grown.

Things aren't always easy for Jeremiah.  He is a deep feeler and very emotional.  He loves sunshine and warm weather and being outside and he really struggles in the dark days of winter.  I hope the pace of high school spares him some of that seasonal misery.  He is the middlest monkey in our middle of birth order and is always being swept along by the older kids or picking up after the younger ones.  We try to give him lots of space and freedom.

If I had to guess his love language, I would guess it is acts of service.  He is the first one to empty the dishwasher if I ask, or if I throw a fit about no one helping he will quickly start to act.  He definitely is a helper.  Jeremiah does what we tell him to.  ( unless he forgets because he is rather scatter-brained.).  He rarely complains.  He gets lost of unpleasant jobs around here.  He is my blessing and this kid.....he has my heart.  Always has and always will. 

Young un-named girl who may wear his football jersey.....wear it proudly.  You chose well. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware