as summer ends.....

Here is my Top 10 reasons why I am ready for the end of summer and Back to School.......

1.  Every time I go into my bathroom, there is someone else's poop/pee that I need to flush.  Every time.
2.  Wet towels.  Wet swimsuits.  Wet carpet.
3.  The sliding glass door never gets shut.....and all the heat comes into my living room.....and I am already, almost always.....hot.  (and I mean my internal mid-life temperature, not my physical attractiveness.)
4.  I am out of meal ideas for lunch and dinner 7 days a week.  At least during the school year one of those is pre-determined!
5.  Vacation was over 2 weeks ago.
6.  My house is not very big and the kids are all getting sick of seeing each other all day every day.  Especially for the past 3 weeks when I have not had daycare.  Ugh.  Fighting.  Sooooooo much fighting.
7.  I have to go to work and do my job whether it is summer, fall, winter or spring.  I haven't had the past 3 months to sleep in and lounge around.  I am growing resentful.
8.  Kids don't take me seriously about doing daily chores.  They have summer amnesia and forget.  Except today.  I've been a bit of a bear this week so the dishwasher definitely got emptied and loaded after I left for work today.
9.  It's just time.  I mean that in the best way.  I love the 3 months we get of each season in Iowa.  I loved the beginning of summer and looking ahead to long lazy days in the sun, and we have had them.  Lots of them!  We have had so much fun this summer and fit in a mission trip to Haiti for dad and Claire, a half a week at the lake in Minnesota, dozens of baseball games, drivers ed, dance camp, football camp, boating, swimming, a hosted pool party, time with family over holidays, celebrating July 4th....popcycles.  ...fresh strawberries picked and frozen into jam, many meals with Iowa sweet corn.......iced coffee......
10.  Good things are coming.  Football games, schedules, structure.  Leggings and boots and scarves.  Chili soup and bonfires.  Laundry finished for at least a day.  Bedtime routine.  Cooler mornings and evenings with the windows open.  

Fall will yield to winter and I will have a list of transition celebrations then, too.  Here is the one where summer yields to fall.    I am grateful for our summer.  I think it lasted just long enough.  Not too fast, not too slow.  We made lots of memories this summer.....and have a long list of accomplishments to be grateful for.  Summer 2016 has been good to us.  I will sit with it another week or two and then give it my blessing and let it go.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware