travel home day

Last week Sunday, Claire and I spent a lot of time in her room.  We were packing and talking and sorting and planning.  They left at 2:30am and I shut the door to her room so the dogs wouldn't explore in there.  Claire and Roger have had an amazing week in Haiti.  This was her first trip out of the US and her first experience loving fatherless children.

Last night, I tried to prepare her for "re-entry" back home.  I texted her and told her I would be praying for her as she  said good-bye to all she had experienced in Haiti this week.....and worked at coming back home.  It's hard.  It really is.  As hard as it is to leave it is also hard to come home.  Home doesn't understand how much you have changed, how much you have learned........home just wants you back.

I will also process the leaving and returning with Roger but that is different.  He is the provider and head of household here, and is established.  I think his re-entry will be easier that it will be for Claire.  Still.....I changed the bedroom sheets and cleaned up a bit and had the boys clean up the backyard so that he has an easier welcome home.....

For Claire, I went back to her room today.  I didn't really have time.  I was working today, and managing 4 kids with no day care.....and Josiah was awake all but 4 hours last night with a cough....and I am absolutely tired.  Still.  I decided the best way I could parent her today, as she re-entered her life here in Iowa, was to care for her sacred space.  I tidied up her room, stripped her bed and washed her sheets and made her bed and turned down those sheets so that she would feel a sense of welcome.  I swept the floor and put things away and turned on her bedside lamp.  I want my tired and very emotionally invested child to walk into her room tonight and feel a wave of relief and welcome and comfort.  It is the best I can give her at 11pm on a Monday night.

Tomorrow, even tho I have to work, and have dance camp for Precious and baseball for the boys, I hope I can sit and listen to their stories and the things they most need to share from their trip.  I hope I can savor it with them both.  This was a big deal for both Roger and Claire....and for me.

I'm hoping that for both of them, when they end their long travel day in each of their rooms, they will feel a sense of wellness and welcome and belonging.....because we are created both for the leaving and the coming home in Jesus Name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware