Fathers

It's Father's Day weekend.  Roger is in Haiti with Claire.  Presently they are helping host a prom for girls who will soon age-out of the orphan care program and need to learn to live as young women in Haiti.  Claire made him a dad.  It's super-cool that they get to share this experience for Father's Day.

The fact is not lost that they are loving and knowing fatherless children in Haiti.  On Father's Day.  In a perfect world, everyone would know the love of a father.  Since that cannot happen in this world, we have access to God's inheritance and can make sure that all know the love of THE Father, God.

Today we were at a baseball tournament for Jeremiah.  Some of the coaches were fathers.  Many fathers were watching and yelling and cheering.  On the playground, another child asked  me if I was Precious' mom or her grandma.  Yes.  She did.  I said, "I am her mom."  A conversation ensued about adoptive moms and birth moms (the other child was also an adopted child).  This child then said, "I  have 2 dads too!" and I gulped because Precious and I have never talked about her first dad.  She never asked so I never offered any info.  We mostly don't have any info and as a 6 year old, she hadn't quite put it all together that you need a mom and a dad to make a baby.....so here we were on a playground in rural Iowa at a ball tourney.....and she turned to me with her big, gorgeous eyes, that were swimming with questions in very deep water.......

"Precious.  We don't really know much about your birth dad.  But you did have one."

"Yeah, mom.  I think he died."

ok.  we are gonna leave it at that because.....really......I can't go there today.

Father's Day is a heavy thing.  Some celebrate.  Some grieve.  Some wonder.  Some avoid.  Some dream.  Some rebel........because fathers matter so, so much.

Tomorrow, after church, I hope to pack up the kids and drive to the lakes to see my dad.  We will have lunch and maybe the kids can fish off the dock......and even tho I would love to stay over for a few days, we have the dogs to think of, and baseball and work and laundry and a really messy house.  It has been a very full week.  I am incredibly tired.  I want to make sure our home is warm and welcoming .....well, maybe more welcoming than warm.  I'll make sure the air conditioning works, but you get the point.  Claire and Roger will come home Monday night.  I cannot wait to have our family together again.

Happy Father's Day, everyone.  Fathers just really do matter so, so much.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this interesting post. We had also celebrated father’s day grandly with family and some friends. My siblings and I had booked most popular seattle convention center for this party. We did DIY decorations and everyone admired our efforts for that blasting party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware