to love with food.....

Grace loves food.  Not all food, but Grace loves certain foods alot.  Lays potato chips with catsup.  Mint chip ice cream.  Coco puff cereal.   Coffee with 2 kinds of sweeteners.  She has an aversion to vegetables of any kind.

I'm always on the hunt for Korean dishes we can make here because, well, I love with food.  I love when food makes people happy, and when they feel loved.  I love Grace and she is very easy to make happy..with food.  I found a recipe for kimchi stew and we made that last week and she was so, so happy.

Saturday we went to Sam's Club and there was a bag of frozen food and it said it was the best dish in all of South Korea.  I bought it because it pleased me to bring it home for Grace.  It's basically noodles and black bean paste.....in 4 easy packets.....boil the noodles, heat the packet of paste and mix.  I showed it to her when we got home and she hugged me and told me she loved me......so Grace loves with food too!

Tonight, I made supper in shifts.  Claire needed to eat early before dance....Roger would be home later....Precious cannot eat until she is hungry.....and the boys eat non-stop from the time they get off the bus until they go to bed.  I did hamburger helper and fruit for the kids, and stuffed bell peppers with brown rice, and crunchy cole slaw for Roger and I because its healthy.  Grace made her Sam's Club Korean dish......

She was just finishing the preparations for the dish and she said, "I love this moment right now.....before I get to eat my food.  I love this.  When the food is gone, I feel sad because it is all finished."     Oh, sweet girl.....I get it.  We foodies.....we first eat with our thoughts as we plan for our meal.....then we eat with our sense of smell and touch as we prepare the meal.....then when its ready, we eat with our eyes.....and finally, we eat with our taste.....and then its done for now.


I have been a foodie for a long, long time.  I love food.  I love with food.  It's why I struggle with weight and diet.....but it's also why I don't struggle with depression.....no matter if its cold outside or hot....food always pleases me.  In this house, Grace joins me....and Isaac....and sometimes Precious even if her love of food is tragically unhealthy.  I find I can still love her with food......

Eat to live or live to eat....the perspective says alot.  I kind of wish I had the first and not the latter, but it is what it is.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware