reflecting on the celebration of "freedom"

This photo was taken July 4 on a hot summer walk.  Aren't they just precious?  My big kids aren't available for photos very often, but these littles are with me all the time.  I am so grateful to be their mom.  Adoption is a crazy thing.....and filled with lots of complex issues and emotions.  In the best world, these 2 kids that I love so much would be with the mom and dad who created them....but we don't live in that world.  We live in the world where if the best is not possible......we step up.  God is for it.  I am for it.  I will step up again if God asks us to.....but for now....these two......

These kiddos are a product of the not-so-much of American freedom.  With roots in African heritage....and therefore slavery in America.....as well as the oppression of minority that leads to poverty and hardship.....the generations that proceeded them suffered much.  There is a term called "white priveledge"....and it applies to my 2 adopted kids because I am white.  But.....they are not....so the future will be hard for them. July 4 is about freedom but when I see their faces I understand a much harder war for freedom......the one that faces racism and segregation....and oppression.   

It is my goal and mission to make it less hard for this son and daughter to navigate life.....regardless of color and ethnicity.  These are my children.  God says so.  The smiles they have on their faces are for me.  I am their mama.  They have a father and siblings and extended family and a place in community and a future that includes faith and hope and expectation......and they have a purpose in the world.  It is my job to help them know it.....as is the case with the other 3 kids in our family.  I have 5 children who have a mission in the world.  I get to help them find it with the guidance of the Lord......I understand the responsibility and weight of this....and I cannot wait to see God Almighty show off and guide my children to their destiny.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware