This morning I woke up and Roger told me something.  He said he got up in the night and smelled something hot, like burning rubber.  He went looking and discovered an extension cord in the  basement that was sitting in water near our laundry dryer.  It had rained hard last night.  He tried to unplug it and got shocked.  He did eventually get it unplugged but it smoked and was hot.  We could have had an electrical fire here at 2am last night.  He said "I prayed that we would be safe from the winds and rain, and that no trees or fences would fall...." and I prayed that too....but there was a much bigger threat than trees and fences outside.....God kept us safe. 

Check your corners people.  We don't use that extension cord often, only when we iron.  It doesn't rain that hard very often either.....

Later in the morning I had to drive to the office to bring some very important documents.  I noticed flooding in the fields and was aware of safety hazards on the roads.  On the way home I blew a tire....we had noticed the sensor light on but kept checking tires and didn't see any problems.  I was going the speed limit and the tire blew and my vehicle started to rattle and shutter.....I looked in the rear view mirror and saw my tire in front of a van going the opposite direction.  I got my car pulled over and got out and ran backwards.  The van was in the ditch.  I called 911.....and watched a car full of women and children slowly get out and they were crying and screaming and scared......

It was an accident but I felt responsible because it was my tire that caused their accident.  All those kids and their mama and grandma could have been hurt badly.....but for the grace....of God. 

I wasn't even worried about me either time today.  I'm good.  I have my destination set on Heaven and sooner or later that is where I will be.  I was rattled because both this morning in our house, and later on the road, there were little kids involved who could have been harmed or worse.  The responsibility and the weight of it are heavy on me tonight.

This life.....it is so so precious....and fragile.....and short.  We just don't know.  We don't.  I can bow my head tonight and thank Jesus for sparing my family, that car full of kids and their mama and grandma, and I do.  I really do.  I am so grateful.  I am trying not to dwell on the money part of that accident and just be grateful.  It could have been such a different story.....and God just wrote one for me that was grateful and not aweful. 

Maybe He is giving me a chance to wake up more grateful and less crabby.  I've had a rough season lately...and God totally showed off today and declared Himself sovereign and all-knowing....this day ends well.  Nothing happened that cannot be fixed and loved and learned from.  Not every day will end this way.  Here or there.....I will maintain that I am His and He is mine....and the Reckless Love He shows me will not go unnoticed. 

Praise God from whom all blessings flow....praise Him all creatures here below....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware