God's Will?

I have had a conversation with people many times about understanding the will of God.  How do you know what He wants?  How does He speak?  What if you are wrong?  The unspoken question is often........why does it matter?  Why do I have to seek His will at all?

Here are some answers from the last to the first. If I don't seek His will, then I will never know what could have happened....what could have been.  He has some good ideas.  He has lots of opportunities...but I need to decide which ones are meant for me.  Or not.  If they are not meant for me it is because there is a better plan, a better part of His Will.  Sometimes it agrees with mine and sometimes it does not.  When God's will and my will collide and do not join, there tends to be misery for me.  Emotional misery.  A sense of being off-balance and out of sync.  When my will joins His will....I tend to thrive.

That's the answer to why it matters.  Living in God's will feels right and good.  There is power and authority and confidence in God's will being executed in me.....and some winks and nods along the way as well.

What if I get it wrong and think a certain plan is God's will when it is not?  That's simple.  He closes doors and opens them to keep me moving forward on the path to the inevitable good thing that is His Will.  or.  I get hurt and feel alone and ashamed and wrong....which is exactly what the devil wants me to feel all.  the.  time.

How does God speak?  For me......He speaks in nature, telling me about how creative He is, and how much power He has.  He speaks in music, with emotion and a Holy Spirit heaviness over me.  He speaks in scripture.  Every time.  All the time.  He speaks in my quiet time......sometimes as a thought that uses words that are not mine (as does the devil, by the way).  Just the other day I was driving and it was quiet in the car.  The sun was rising and I was fully present in the moment and was listening.  God said to me, "My daughter".....and I was more quiet....."don't be mad at me".  That's what he said.  I swear.  I had been mad at Him.  He knew it.  I knew it.  No one else knew it.  How can I argue with the creator of the universe when he tells me to stop being mad at Him.  So I did.  ;)

Here is an idea for reconnecting with God Almighty....or maybe seeking Him for the first time.  Set a day and a time to be alone.  Completely alone.  Call it Mental health day or Private retreat or whatever......go somewhere.  A nature park or a prayer room.....somewhere quiet.  Take a bible and a journal and a pen.  Be still.  Listen.  Read.  Write your thoughts, your images, your anxieties....and walk.  Then stop and listen again.  Sing a song if one comes to mind....be flexible and be transparent.  It's just you and the Lord.  Take as much time as you need.  When I have done this, I usually stayed until I felt satisfied with what I came for.  Sometimes its an answer.  Sometimes it is just getting close to Him again.

Good grief....I have written my way into a need to do this again soon myself.  It's just so, so rewarding and uplifting and grounding to do it.  I will plan to do it.  So should you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware