consider being kind, generous and good.....

Many years ago, I had a conversation with someone who was behaving very, very badly.  We were discussing whether this person would change, could change.  This was a person who was able to function pretty well in the world.  My response to the person was that if and when I saw them being kind, generous and good, I would know that they had changed.  I believe that the Holy Spirit is capable of a transforming work in all of us and it is evidenced by acts that are kind, generous and good.

Living in this world is hard.  There are the demands to comform to worldly standards of beauty, success, acceptance.  There is the tyranny of time and being controlled by time.  Appointments.  Schedules.  The balance of saving time, wasting time, cherishing time.......Living in this world means fearing pain and death, facing mortality.  Feeling weak and fragile.  Selfish, even. 

Be kind.  Be generous.  Be good.  For me, and for the family I am influencing, I think this is a pretty good call from God.  I want to raise a generation of people who are said to be kind, generous and good.  To a fault.  Not just a little bit. 

What would it look like to be kind....to a fault?  Generous to a fault?  Good.....to a fault?  

I guess the definitions are different for each of us.  One thing I know, since the Holy Spirit took hold of my heart and my destiny, is that being kind, generous and good always costs me something.  When I fall short I feel aweful.  When I succeed I feel His Presence in and through me. 

Consider what it could look like if each of us and all of us allowed God Himself to dwell in us and the fruit of that was kindness, generosity and goodness.  What a world that would be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware