a season of filling up and appreciating when others are called......

Three times today......THREE TIMES TODAY......I was a part of a conversation with a woman who shared that they were starting or considering or finishing a process to become licensed as a foster parent.  Three times.  To-day.  Three different women, mind you.  My heart is simply broken and undone because it is so clear to me that the heart of God is for this right now.  Our nation desperately needs quality families to step up and be ready to open their homes for children.  Desperately.

I am partly jealous.  I want to be on this journey, too.  It is not my assignment right now.  We have 5 children who are growing and learning and thriving and we need to invest all of our energy and time in them.  For now.  We have no space.  We love our home and there is really no such thing in our price bracket as a home with more than 5 bedrooms......and for now, they are all full......so we cannot add to our family.  (Collective sigh of relief heard.)

I am mostly in awe of the moving Holy Spirit to awaken families to consider this call......because these are hurting and wounded children.  I work with families in community.  I understand the story before the foster care placement.  I fight this battle every day.  God is fighting too.....and he is using everyday people doing everyday jobs in everyday Northwest Iowa.

I am given permission to be a prayer warrior for these families called to this very hard thing.  I am given permission to love them and help and bless however I can.  What a sweet, sweet gift from God.

I am excited about a new season that the Lord has called our family to.  We are opening our home and hearts to local college students who HAVE parents (second collective sigh of relief heard) but need a local family to walk the journey with them.  The local college uses the term "adopt" a student but you and I both know that this term means something much different to us.  We will host and embrace and show hospitality to a couple new students at Dordt College, and continue to care about and bless our first "adopted football player" who is now a senior at Dordt.  We hope to meet these guys in the next week or two and have them over and offer our pool and hottub and home and family to them if they want to connect with us.  I still get to love on a vulnerable group of people.....and they have homes and means and parents.  Win.  Win.

For now, I enjoy a season of blessing and helping and less challenging service.  I need some time to rest and fortify my spiritual fences again.  I long for spiritual retreat and growth.  I can still serve my Lord every day in less dramatic ways, and take some time to just sit still.  It is so good of the Lord to grant me this season.....and I cannot wait to see what He will show me and teach me here.

Today I made a few decisions that made me feel less busy and more blessed.  I postponed a visit.  I made a popcorn cake.  I sat in the back yard and enjoyed the sounds and smells and stillness.  I watched a monarch butterfly and appreciated it.  I bought a really expensive bracelet made by someone in Guatemala at an in-home party.  It is beautiful.  I cannot wait to wear it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware