Lest we Forget......

I've been thinking about Easter.  I committed to removing 40 items from my closet and donating them to a charity......as an effort to participate in Lent.  We attended a Palm Sunday church service in Minneapolis to start Holy Week.  I'm making plans for the kids on their no school days (since I still have to work!)  Last year, the Saturday evening before Easter, Precious prayed and asked Jesus into her heart....

I bought Precious and Josiah and Claire and myself something new to wear to church on Easter Sunday.  I debated about contributing to the Easter Brunch at our church....and opted out of it.  There are not many families at my church who daily feed 8 people.....my grocery bill is astronomical. I've asked my mom twice what the plan is for Easter dinner.....so that I can buy food and plan.  There is no plan so far.  It's only Tuesday.  There will be a plan by Easter Sunday......

Today, the Lord reminded me of this part of Easter.....lest we forget:

Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him.  On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation".  He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."  An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.  And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.  When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow.  "why are you sleeping?" he asked them.  "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."

We can call Easter a "holiday".....a reason to buy new clothes, spring clean, go to church if we don't regularly attend.  Hear this.  Jesus wants us to remember that He didn't just go to the cross.  He didn't just die for our sins.  We cannot just say those phrases like they didn't cost Him something....everything.  He begged the Father to take that cup from him, to give him a pardon, to make a new plan.  The plan stayed.

Jesus......struggled......ached.....anguished....over His assignment to be tortured and killed to save us from eternal fires of Hell.  It was so hard, He needed an angel to come and strengthen Him so that he could do it.

Lest we forget, as we whine about snow and cold for Easter, and obsess about wardrobe and springtime and what to do with days out of school.......Jesus sweat in prayer, trying to prepare to do this aweful thing.......for us.

I pray we can all dig deep and find reverance......and gratitude.....and lift our eyes to our Savior this Holy Week.  Its the least we can do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware