a new term, a familiar fight

Yesterday, after getting the big kids off to school, and Roger to work, and the littles to daycare, I met up with a co-worker and we drove to Des Moines for a conference.  She and I are certified lactation counselors and our office payed for us to attend the 26th annual Iowa Breastfeeding Conference for May 20/21.  I got to eat out at a nice restaurant for dinner, sleep in a clean and quiet hotel room and soak up 2 days work of recent and relevant research and strategies to help mothers and babies with breastfeeding.  What a treat.  Seriously.....I've been at this job for a couple of decades now and it is so inspiring to be able to attend a conference and hear new, research-based info from experts in their fields......and get paid for it.  I am blessed.

Roger was "super-dad" and did all the taxi driving and feeding and comforting and parenting for this 36 hours I was away.  Precious had a predictable meltdown....or 2....but tonight, at 10:30, all is well.  Dad is hopefully resting and snoring alone in another bedroom.   Precious is completely passed out in my bed.  Joe is still up but resting beside me....close to sleep.  Claire is either studying for her last 2 finals of her freshman year, or sleeping.  The boys better be asleep.  Me?  I'm reflecting, and planning, and considering.

I learned a new term today from one speaker, who specialized in research and studying research and validating research.  She had lots of statistics and is a published author.  She was way smarter than I am.  I like this term she introduced me to.  It's called "the allostatic load".

Allostatic load refers to the wear and tear on the body, the burden on the body, which grows over time when someone is exposed to repeated or chronic stress.  It represents the physical consequences of prolonged stress.  Allostatic load is high for individuals who live hard lives with a lot of adversity and hardship.  Allostatic load is low when someone either lives a charmed life......or recognizes the physiologic threat of stress and takes measures to push against this load.

I can think of many people over time, who have shown signs of allostatic load.  Wrinkles.  Tired eyes.  Limping.  Obesity.  Frown lines.  Misery.  Depression.  Heart disease......substance abuse.....lots and lots of things.  I would guess that if I visited a woman's prison and interviewed some of the senior women there, I would be able to make an accurate list of symptoms of allostatic load.

For tonight, since this is a new term for me, and because I live with my glass half full, I will say this.  I respect the allostatic load.  I give attention to it.  Repeated and chronic stress have powerful implications on a person's physiology.  Their health.  Their ability to fight infections and prevent diseases and to promote wellness.

  I don't have control over much of the allostatic load I carry.  The demands of raising children in the US in 2015 are great.  The economy does not help me do this well.  Insurance coverage is miserable and inadequate and laughable.  Food prices are insane.  The city raises taxes at will....and sin and hardship are everywhere......and it's hard to maintain and grow healthy relationships with important people.

I do have control of some of the allostatic load I carry.  I can't prevent the stress.....but I can respond to it.  I can war against it......with equally powerful hormones that release something better and stronger.  Cortisol vs. Oxytocin  (yes, I was paying attention at the conference).....a hot, cooked meal preferably free from refined sugars and flours.......exercise (lots and lots of it), holding babies, laughter, good quality sleep.  Bright lights/direct sun light.  Physical affection.  massage.  Yes.  All of these things fight against and defeat allostatic load.  Friendships.  Worship.  Retreat.  Silence......Mindful presence.....oh, so I'm still listing the presenter's ideas but now I'm also adding my own.

In addition to fighting against spiritual darkness, and social injustice, and the cause of the widow, the orphan and the poor, I am now aware of the war against the allostatic load of life.  The stress of life that wears us down and robs us of joy and passion and wonder and peace.  That, people, is simply unacceptable.  Why?  Because Jesus Christ came to live and die and fight for me and for you, so that we may have joy and passion and wonder and peace.  Allostatic load did not start with Jesus.  Therefore......lets just deny it any more power.....in Jesus' name.  

Comments

  1. JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO BE REMINDED OF! Thanks so much for this--I had tears! Perfect read this morning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware