the path of adversity

Tonight, I was sitting at the full service gas station at almost 7pm because it was raining icey raindrops and I did not want to stand out in the freezing rain to pump gas.  Cold drops of rain were dripping into the car from the sunglasses compartment of my car, which is located above my head.  I texted my husband with a picture from my smart phone, reporting the new car problem.  His response was a catch word that we are using around our home lately.  He said, "sounds like Adversity".  We label all kinds of events and actions and issues "adversity".  I like the word.  It's not complaining, really, its just fact.  Saying it is almost like a magic word.  It dissolves the emotion behind the event.  Try it.  Stub your toe or break a glass or scratch your glasses.....and instead of throwing a fit, just calmly speak the truth.  Adversity.

Google defines adversity this way:  misfortune, trouble, difficulty, hardship, distress, disaster, suffering, affliction, sorrow, misery, tribulation, woe, pain, trauma.......yep.  That about covers it.

John 16:33 says this, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble, but take heart!  I have overcome the world."-Jesus' words.

Jesus lived on Earth and boy, I'm thinking he could speak to adversity.  He gets it.  He knows.....he even affirms it.  We will have trouble, but take heart.  Take.....heart!.......Jesus has overcome the world......this world, this trouble, this adversity.

I smiled at Roger's text as the bundled-up gas station attendant shivered and pumped my gas.  Adversity.  I'm guessing that dude had been out pumping other people's gas and cleaning wind shields all day and yet, he gave me a warm smile as he returned my credit card and receipt.  Earlier today I sat in a Subway for over an hour charting and waiting for my last visit of the day.  The lady working was older than me and when a second employee showed up I overheard her tell all that she had done today, preparing for massive orders of take out subs tomorrow.....this woman was still at it at 4:30pm, after a full day of baking and stacking and organizing and serving customers With A Smile!  And Gratitude!  And even.......a joyful heart.  I bet she didn't get paid much per hour.......I'm wondering tonight how she might define Adversity.

I had a conversation today with a young woman who cried as she told her story.  She met him on social media.....he was abusive.....and now she was tied to him forever because she was having his child......can we review the definition of adversity again.......and then  maybe remember that the rain dripping into my car after a long work day is, well, less than.

I trust I've made my point.  We all go through hard things.  Jesus said it would happen.  Some are harder than others, and adversity skips no one.  We all get a dose of it every day.  I want to start to link "adversity" with "perspective" and then, maybe, when I have a handle on that transition......I can add something like......."gratitude", "humility", "generosity", self-sacrifice........yielding......surrender.....grace......and get to faith......and trust..................and worship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware