the 31 days of October

 Well here we are again....October first.  October is a beautiful, magical month of fall.  If only we didn't have to deal with all the Halloween spooks and witches and darkness.  Why must we ruin a perfectly good month with all of this scary stuff?  Nevermind.  I know why.  Sorry if Halloween happens to be your favorite holiday.  It's not mine and it's my blog so I can write what I want. 

My kids don't do scary because I don't do scary.  I spend all of my parenting energy making a safe and nurturing world for the kids I love and then October tries to ruin it all with all this terror and zombie and undead haunting.  Good grief.  

Today our pastor preached about God bringing light to the darkness, order to the chaos and life unto death.  I guess that's what I need to do for the 31 days of October.....

For today, we began the month going to church, taking family pictures, watching football on tv and going out for pizza.  October 1.  Tomorrow, on October 2 we will get up and start our work and school week.  I think I will make ham and cheese omlets for breakfast for anyone who wants one.  There is a method where you pour the eggy mix into a ziploc bag and drop in boiling water for 13 minutes and it comes out perfect.  I'm also ready for some pumpkin spice in my life and I ran across a good recipe for baked pumpkin oatmeal.  Precious plays volleyball out of town tomorrow afternoon so I'll go watch and cheer her on before making dinner and sitting down to watch week 2 of The Voice.  No spooks, no goblins, no fearful stuff for October 1 or 2.....29 days to go.  

My 2023 word has been Aware.  I love the challenge to remain tuned in, centered and aware of the present and what is going on.  I am grateful for this word to guide my perspective for 2023....and am also aware there are only 3 months left before it is time to ask the Lord for what's coming for me in 2024.  

Our extra kredits may be transitioning out of our home soon.  We are working on a plan for that which is actually more complicated than the adjustment to welcome children into our home for placement.  Helping them move on involves so much more.  I would covet prayers for this process as we try to meet all the needs of everyone involved and maintain a state of calm and safety so that we, too, can bring light to the darkness and order to the chaos for these kiddos.  Once they transition out we will likely take a break if it is God's will, and just get reconnected again in our relationships here with the Kredit clan.  It feels good and right and faithful to pour out but that also means we need a season to fill back up.  I can't think of a better season to do that than when autumn turns into winter.  

The leaves are falling, the colors of red and yellow and orange are bursting with beauty.  The fields are golden and harvest is underway in the midwest.  The wind blows most days and the heartbeat of Mother Nature seems to be slowing down a bit and getting sleepier, slower and cozier.  I can synch up with this pace for sure and follow her lead.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware