October vs. Halloween

 Every year I struggle with October and Halloween.  I love October.  I do not love Halloween.  I do not love the spiritual battle of dealing with zombies and ghosts and witches and devils that is elevated to an idea of fun and whimsy for this holiday.  I do not love the stress of finding constumes the kids are excited about and happy with.....nor do I wish to spend money on an outfit they will wear for less than 4 hours of their life.  I do not look forward to the battle over the candy and how much they can have each day....and then the trips to the dentist to get cavities filled for the next year.  Even with insurance, the dental bill is scarier than Halloween in our family.  

But October.

Warm afternoons, cool evenings, dark and quiet mornings.....the colors of fall absolutely burst wide open in Iowa in the fall....and this year has been exceptionally beautiful and it lingered on through the entire month.....every day was more amazing and breath-taking....every sunset over the harvesting fields was more beautiful than ever.  I made a choice this year to not give the devil my joy.  I chose not to worry and obsess about th spiritual darkness.  I chose to celebrate the light this year.....I still prayed spiritual prayers and put on the full armor of God and prayed it over lots of others this month....I still refused to let my kids get costumes that were dark or gave attention to evil.....but I did not let it rob me of all that there was to enjoy of October.  

Last year, Halloween was hard with extra kredit.  He was more used to the full on experience of the event with zombies and witches and all that stuff.  We talked it out and we found a cheap costume at the second hand store and he dressed as a clown.  his bio parents really wanted to be with him for Halloween so we made that happen and he did all the things.  We did find a movie of Curious George Halloween and watched that.  I love me some Curious George.  And of course, we watched the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown because I am a die hard Peanuts fan.....(even my checks are of the Peanuts gang thanks to my cool husband for ordering them).  

This year Precious and Roger went to a show instead of the trick or treating.  Josiah went with a friend and the friend's family and had a freakin' blast.  Extra kredit and I joined the neighbors for a walk around town for an hour and did some trick or treating.....he got to fulfill a dream and dressed up as a baseball player, using Jeremiah's authentic, legit baseball shirt and hat and gloves.  We had to pin the baseball pants because he is a little squirt.  I let him carry the metal baseball bat which is his pride and joy....and he rewarded me with a huge smile.   Turns out he was having fun getting candy from safe and kind houses but was more fearful and wary when it was someone who was "spook-tacular".  I'm patting myself on the back for that one.  I love that I see the shift in him, too.  

We got back, had some easy supper and watched Curious George Halloween movie on PBS.  I let him have 2 of his candies and then he showered, brushed his teeth, and went to bed happy.  Josiah came back starving and had the equivalent of 2 suppers....plus ice cream.....and is also in bed.  My 8 jack-o-lanterns are still lit up and burning bright on the front stoop.  Roger and Precious are not yet home but I'm in bed and glad to have another Halloween behind me......but we didn't get to watch Charlie Brown and The Great Pumpkin yet....so I think I'll make time for that tomorrow after church.  

Happy October, friends.  Thanks for reading.  Some of you have read years and years of my Halloween reflections.  I'm guessing you are smiling as you read this one.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware