Thanksgiving thoughts at the end of the day

We had a very thankful day today.  I got to wake up and have all of my people at home.  Knowing they would all wake up and stagger into the kitchen at some point for breakfast was heart-warming.  No college.  No early morning lifting or early morning conference calls......we had our church service last night and were given a chance to remember several families in our congregation who had struggles this year and had reasons to give thanks.  It was a great way to set up the holiday today. 

We didn't make plans to go Black Friday shopping.  We did make our plan to go as a family to pick out our tree from the tree farm.  We also drew names for Christmas presents.  Mostly, though, we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and football, ate lots of food, relaxed in our home and took naps.  We spent time with family we don't get to see very often.  We remembered important connections.  I remembered Thanksgivings over the years, especially when I was young and I felt very very thankful. I have this legacy of family and love and history with people all surrounded by faith and worship and food and fellowship.  Man, it is a rare thing anymore.  I hope my kids are receiving it, too. 

We started a puzzle on Tuesday when Claire finished school.  Puzzles are a family affair for us and we only do them when Claire and Isaac and Roger are around for big chunks of time.  The rest of us fill in but these 3 are the puzzle masters.  Puzzles are therapeutic here.  They are satisfying and they fill my cup because even if I am washing dishes in the kitchen, I can look over and see heads bowed down together around the table, looking for pieces, laughing, chatting, working toward a common goal.  My people....my tribe.  Since this one was completed so fast we may need to do one more......since tomorrow is only Friday. 

When we start a puzzle, we see the task at hand and we understand the work we need to do.  We compliment each other when we complete a hard part.  We tease and banter when we are working on hard sections.  We lovingly get frustrated, take breaks, and return to the task.  Eventually we finish the puzzle and sometimes we lose a piece.  and its ok.

We are living in a hard season of the world.  Politics are hostile and angry and mean.  Social media is crazy nuts.  Morality and integrity and telling the truth and standing on the sanctity of the bible is messy.  Standing up for life is not easy.   Lines are drawn in the sand that I cannot agree with.  Deciding right and wrong isn't clear or easy any more.  Following Jesus is a challenge.  Some say go this way and some say go that way and Jesus....what do you say?  What do you want life to be about?  My little tribe is watching me and is asking me what to believe and what to know as truth.   I want our life to be like our puzzle fixing.  I want this family and the world I live in, to see the tasks at hand, and understand the work we need to do.  I want our community to compliment each other when we complete a hard part.  I want our nation to tease and banter when we are working on hard sections.  I want our world to lovingly get frustrated, take breaks and return to the task.  Eventually, we will finish the puzzle and sometimes we will lose a piece of this life.  It will have to be ok. 

I am thankful tonight for worship music I can hear as I wrestle with things in my heart, and I am thankful for my steadfast husband who is always the anchor for me in troubled water.  I am thankful for my 5 amazing children and for all the people that are becoming their people....because they too become my people.....and I am thankful for the parents and grandparents who came before me to set up the life I get to live. ( Today at Thanksgiving dinner I wondered with my auntie and my dad what my grandma would think of our political atmosphere right now.  We agreed it was good she is in glory with Jesus and not here watching the news.  ) 

I am thankful to live in this great country and to get a chance to start new puzzles all the time.  I am very thankful and grateful and do not take my freedom for granted.  I am thankful for the call of the Lord to make this life matter.  I am grateful that it is not about me and it never was.....that it is always about Jesus and how we can point to him, lead to him, delight in him and end with him.  Thank goodness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware