some thoughts on Love

The next big holiday, Valentine's Day, is a week away!  When my brother and I were small, my mom always gave us a gift at Valentine's Day.  Chocolates, or some sweet treat that reminded us all day that she loved us.  In later years, the grandmas would send packages to my children with Valentines day cards and treats.  What a sweet, sweet holiday (pun intended)!  A day set aside to consider people we love and either say it with words or flowers or candy or gifts.......I love you.  Simple words.

Being loved is so important.  It validates us.  It makes us feel important and special.  When we feel important and special we behave as important and special people.  I never, ever doubted I was loved by my family.  I always knew it, not just because of a Valentine's day wish, but because that sense of being someone who mattered came regularly.  I pray I am also imparting this in my home, to my husband, my children, even my dogs.  Today, love walked into my house at 4:34pm in the form of my friend.  She had baked cookies and chose to share them with us.  I got a smile, a hug and a platter of the absolute best cookies......and I feel loved.  

She shows me that the spirit of Valentine's day is generous, creative, spontaneous and fresh.  It says to consider people who matter to you and do something sweet for them.  Buy or make a treat, send a note.  Go out of your way to give a hug.  Smile.  Love.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware