Peace

John 14:27......."Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." 

For several years now, I have taken a similar photo of this scene.  I love this place.....it is so, so peaceful.  It is peaceful when I am standing in this spot on the sand, looking out over the lake with my camera in my hand.  It is peaceful when I wake up there in the morning, and only the earliest risers among us are awake, sipping coffee, doing morning devotions, visiting quietly.  It is peaceful in the night when we hear the loons and occasionally an eagle.  It is not a busy lake and there are no parties happening out on the water.  Sometimes a skier or a jet ski will zip past but as quickly as they come they also move on, around this really big and beautiful body of water in Minnesota. 

Even now, 6 months later, as we fight through winter in Iowa, I can see the photo and feel the peace in it.  Don't get me wrong, there is peace in February in Iowa....but it requires a coat and boots.....

Jesus told us He would give us His peace.  He kinda said.....but it is not the world's definition of peace so don't wait for that.....it is His peace.  The world sees peace as everyone getting along, not fighting, no adversity, no struggle.  The Peace of God is something very, very different.  For me, it is in the last sentence.....do not let my heart be troubled (even if my world is very, very troubled).  Do not be afraid.   Have faith.  Trust the Master.  Try not to worry.  Don't agonize and fret over the things of the world.  (Lets just all hear that one more time, shall we?).....Do not agonize and fret over the things of the world.  He does not give to us as the world gives.......

The Peace of God is good and satisfying from every angle, in every season, and throughout every day.  The Peace of God does not change with news updates, weather alerts, terrible events, broken promises, missed opportunities, failed resolutions, bad parenting, disappointments, scary diagnoses, or even the gloom and doom of these times we live in.  It does not change.  His Peace is perfect and steadfast and unchanging because it is a reflection of Jesus himself, as clear and beautiful as clouds reflected on water, so His Peace displays His perfect truth.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 

I will go to bed on this command tonight and hopefully wake up with the sound of the words ringing in my ears tomorrow.....do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  I will picture the lake and the dock and the huge sky and the smell of fresh Minnesota air and trees.......and know more of His peace day by day.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware