I'm making soup today.

I'm making soup today.  It is a chilly Saturday afternoon.  We went to a college football game today and Josiah felt like he didn't need to wear a coat.  Then he got soaking wet at the water fountain because, well, I was watching the game.  Precious forgot mittens because "you didn't bring any for me!"   Jeremiah?  well, he put a sweatshirt on and a glove over his cast and he is half grown so I'm not gonna offer him much advice beyond that.  It was about 45 degrees with a cold wind and we sat at football.  Isaac got up this morning and, as promised to dad, got on the roof to blow leaves out of the gutters.  He had a head cold.  He said when he got home from the (also freezing) game last night his room was hot so he opened the window and fell asleep with it open.  I am making soup today.  My 16 year old boy has the sniffles. 

Last night we went to Isaac's game.  It was so cold.  So so cold.  We had to park a half mile away from the field.....and use port-a-potties at the game.  I couldn't find gloves for myself so I was cold.  I had bought new hats and gloves for the littles but they were cold too.  I'm making soup today. 

Tomorrow promises to be cold as well.  We will go to church, then head to Sioux Falls to see Josiah's half brother, and buy some hair extensions, and then come home so that Precious can sit for braids.  She has taken a hair break for about 5 months and she decided yesterday it was time for braids.  You see, "crazy hair day" is coming in a couple weeks and she wants to wrap pipe cleaners around braids and go to school that way.  Naturally, we must schedule a sitting for braids so that this plan can come to fruition.  Naturally.  Ironically, every day without braids is "crazy hair day" for Precious....but we won't share that with her just yet. 

I'm making soup today because the weather is changing and it's getting cold in Iowa.  I had to close the windows and turn on the heat.  I am hunting for gloves and coats and hats and I am making soup.  Chicken noodle soup is good for us.  It is.  There is research to prove it.  It actually helps a person fight off the common cold....which includes sniffles and coughs and such.  We have those here.  I'm sure more are coming soon, what with the 5 year old racing around the football game in a wet sweatshirt and all.....I did put him in a hot bath when we got home, and started diffusing essential oils.....and inevitably someone in this family will get sick.  If they do......I'm making soup. 

Boil chicken.  (I used hind quarters today because they were economical).  Add salt and pepper, some celery stalks and leaves, and the hard ends of carrots.  Remove from water when chicken is no longer pink.  Add chopped onion, celery, carrots, 1 1/2 cups rice and a 1/4 pound of vermicelli pasta.  Heat to boiling while pulling the chicken off the bone.  Add 2 packs of dry lipton chicken noodle soup mix, and salt and pepper to taste.  Put the chopped/shredded chicken back in the soup pot and add water if it is too dense.  If you want thinner soup, add more water but seriously, who wants thin soup? 

Eat some when you make it.  Freeze some.  Share some.  Save some for another day.  Make enough.  Next up?  Broccoli cheese soup because it is Precious Maryn's favorite.  Its good to have soup choices I think. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl musings, Niki-style

Family

mid-summer check in on being Aware